Once you discover that you have water penetration and leaks in your basement, your first thought is to fix the problem ASAP. The longer the filtration goes on, the greater the water damage to your home. But simply running out and hiring a contractor before doing your research can cost you thousands of dollars in unnecessary repair bills and hundreds of hours wasted without getting to the root of your leak problem. You can search for the best leading waterproofing specialists in Sydney in various online sources.
Use the tips below and find out what you need to know before hiring a contractor.
Recommendations and references
Ask around. Feel free to ask your family, friends, and co-workers who they would recommend. Also, don't be embarrassed to ask who they wouldn't do business with again. Get the big picture of the good, the bad, and the ugly. Visit the waterproofing association websites and look for a list of professionals like Vulcan waterproofers who work in your area.
Call them on the phone
Now that you've done some research online, you need to make a quick call to each of your potential waterproofing contractors and ask them these questions:
- Does your company work on projects of its size?
- Can you provide references from both previous customers and suppliers or a bank?
- Try to figure out how many projects they may have running at any given time. You don't want to be the last on an extremely busy schedule.
- Find out if they have the proper licenses and insurance coverage if you can't find this on their website.
Meet them face to face
Once you have met with each contractor and obtained a quote, you will need to answer these questions to make a final decision:
- Did the contractor do a full inspection of your problem?
- Did they explain in detail the project and all the work it recommends?
- Did you receive a written estimate or quote promptly?
- Most importantly, did the contractor earn your trust and respect as a professional?
- With the tips above, you should be able to quickly and easily find a waterproofing specialist.